Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 20:12:15 -0400
Judith said:
>>Does anyone know if shiso oil is paleo?

I think it would be.  I have eaten shiso leaf and shiso seeds (not in a
while).  I think they'd be paleo.

>>Is flax seed?  I can't imagine it is, but...
People have different answers here.  It is highly reactive (spoils easily)
and some think it can easily oxidize in the body as well (given our body
temperature and how sensive PUFAs are).  You may have to experiment.  Flax
oil has never made my face break out.  I've not noticed adverse reactions
from it.

>>I started using walnut oil and my skin is now a mess.  Similar to the
reaction that I used to get with peanut butter.  Does anyone else experience
this type of problem with oils?  No I'm not allergic to anything.

Glad you asked.  I love nuts and nut butters but can't eat much of them.  If
I eat them daily, even in small amounts, I get pimples.  If I eat them
sporadically, but eat them a few days in a row, I can get a terrible case of
acne, esp, worsened if it is during the second half of my cycle.  It doesn't
matter what kind of nuts they are..... nuts make my face break out if I eat
much of them.  You are not alone.  Olive oil doesn't seem to do it.
Although, if I eat too much total fat in my diet, for whatever reason, even
at maintenance calories, I can go from pretty clear skin to acne city!!!
;-(((

>>I just dont want to use only olive oil, it gets very boring..

Try coconut butter (to saute, stir fry, or on warm food at the table),
coconut milk (in smoothies, sauces, desserts, or whatever), flaked coconut
(on fruit).  Use chicken skin and the juices sometimes on veggies.  Save
chicken cooking juices and use the fat to saute greens.  Saute in beef
tallow here and there.   Pour lamb cooking juices on your salad with herbs.
Heck, I use some sesame tahini (if used in moderateion it does not cause me
the same grief that nuts can and often do).

Do you use herbs and spices in your cooking?  I find that adds variety and
interesting flavors; ditto for lemon and lime juice, mineral rich sea salt,
some toasted sea veggies, etc.

My 55 cents worth! ;-))

Rachel