From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:14:18 -0500
Janet Hacker wrote:
> I'm frustrated... I had been on the paleo diet for 2 weeks and I haven't
> lost ANY weight!
>
> Can you please give me a general idea of what you're eating?
> I need to know what I'm doing wrong, that my body will just not give up
> this extra weight!!!

Of course, the first question is to ask yourself if you
truly are overweight or have bought into one of the many
idiotic "Twiggy" (remember her?) image remakes.  Is it truly
fat or bone and muscle?  Assuming that you really do have
some excess insulation, then:

What were you eating before?  Was it vastly different from
paleo or is there only moderate change?  The bigger the
change, the more results, I would think...

Here's what I eat in a typical day:
Breakfast: fruit and/or eggs and/or meat, whatever I'm in
the mood for :)  This time of season, the fruit is usually
berries, melon, a peach....but watch those high sugar
fruits!
Lunch & dinner: I carry food if I'm going to be out of the
house.  I have too many allergies which include beef which
makes it difficult to eat out except maybe at a buffet....I
eat pork, buffalo, chicken, fish and shellfish.  These can
be eaten cold as in a salad or hot (reheat in the microwave
or cook fresh if home).  NO readymade salad dressings.
Thinking in terms of the old diet "exchanges" it would be
1-2 meat servings, 2-3 veggies and 1 fruit for each meal.
Sometimes I save something for a snack if I'm not hungry
enuf to eat it all at one meal.  I am careful not to eat the
same foods two days in a row as this is said to help avoid
creating more allergies while my body heals.  Ray's book
NEANDERTHIN has some good recipe suggestions to get started.

One place you may be sabotaging yourself unknowingly is with
grains.  I started with a celiac diet which excludes wheat,
barley, rye and sometimes oats.  Man, this culture puts
grain in everything!  There is a reference listing "safe"
and "forbidden" foods for celiacs at:
http://www.celiac.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=12
Perhaps you are accidentally getting some grain
somewhere....

Also, two weeks is not very long.  Ray says it sometimes
takes a while for our bodies to readjust to the new style.
Enzyme production has to change....maybe you just need to
give it more time.

Now, do you feel different even tho the scale is not showing
much change?  That was the first thing I noticed. I don't
get loggy and sleepy after a paleo meal; I always did after
the Standard American Diet (SAD) meal.  I found I was
sleeping better at night and no longer requiring the
afternoon nap.  The joint pain and pitting edema went away.
And I hadn't realized how depressed I had been until it
started to lift....

My advice: check your diet for accidental slips.  Don't
cheat as it slows the body changes you will need to be
making.  Don't weigh more often that once a week, and then
at about the same time of day wearing about the same
clothing (or not hehehe).
Practice being peaceful because stress activates our adrenal
glands which cause lots of things to happen with our blood
sugar and mineral balance and water retention and....

Hang in there.  It is not an overnite thing but it does
really work!
--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee