From:
Padraig Hogan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2009 20:30:16 -0400
On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:48:40 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>> It's true that our ancestors had more protein than in just fruit, their
>> main diet
>> by far was fruit, then vegetables, then eggs/insects/fish. Meat very rare
>> thing
>> for them... and if this list has hijacked the term "paleo" for some kind
>> of 40%
>> red meat/cancer diet (as some controversial books have), then I think
>> that's
>> disgraceful.
>
>I think most people here would find the 40% figure to be on the low side.
>But let's take your claim that meat was a "very rare thing" for
>paleolithic people.  What is your evidence for that statement?
>
>Todd Moody

While the other great apes go hunting it only comprises single digits of a
percent even among chimpanzees. We're the least capable of hunting of ALL
of them.

"but we use our brains blah blah"

This is a totally naive faux pas, basically the only way we would have
consumed meat like that is by SCAVENGING. You can certainly argue we were
doing that as there are teeth marks thought to be human in large animals.
Flints and spears are tools and a part of "civilisation" just as much as
computers and bread are. If times get very bad food-wise, you get to sharpen
your stick and go hunting!!!

We humans don't have sharp teeth or a digestive system to hunt. We don't
salivate and get huge desires for eating a wild animal (unlike sexual desires
even in repressed people). No, it's only a small part of our system. I don't
really like meat as much as some seem to so maybe it's that I personally amn't
too well adapted for it.