From:
Gregg Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 06:39:32 -0400
> The reason I'm perplexed: I can't seem to lose weight on this program. I
> searched the archives on the subject of low/no weight loss, but didn't
> really find anything that seemed to relate to my particular situation. So I
> thought I'd run it by y'all.
> Kathy
> mailto:[log in to unmask]

Kathy-- one thing that really jumps out at me in your post is that you
mention nothing about exercise.  It is very possible to go on a low-
calorie diet and have weight loss difficulties because of the body's going
into its "starvation mode"-- a key part of which is the lowering one's
base metabolism.  So my first recommendation would be to assess your
exercise program, which should include an aerobic-type activity like
walking or jogging or swimming, as well as strength training (I'm sure
you're well aware that muscle has a much higher metabolic rate than fat).
   If you find that you lack the motivation to exercise, it could very
well be due to your excessively low carbohydrate intake.  From my reading
of the literature, with but a few exceptions hunter-gatherer diets,
both modern and ancient, were not low in carbs.  The key is that the carbs
came from roots, fruits, nuts, seeds, and vegetables, as opposed to
grains. So my second recommendation would be to increase your carb in-take
considerably, which should give you more energy and more motivation . . .
just stay away from the grains and potatos.  Other benefits will include
your getting more carotenoids, vitamin C, vitamin E, a host of
phytochemicals, as well as softer and more free-flowing BMs.
   Your excessively low carb in-take indicates that you may be having
fairly large slabs of protein at each meal.  Several caveman-diet authors
(e.g., Nancy Appleton in Lick the Sugar Habit; Barry Sears in The Zone)
note that too much protein at one sitting generates a high insulin
response and defeats a key reason for going on the caveman diet (that is,
keeping one's insulin levels fairly low and even-keeled).  If this is the
case, then my third recommendation would be to spread your protein intake
across the day with several small meals, keeping the portions modest.
    My last recommendation has to do with your consumption of coffee, tea,
soft drinks, and junk food.  A lot of "dieters" substitute artificial
sweeteners for sugar when using these beverages and foods.  Studies on
rats and mice reveal that saccharin invokes an insulin response; I haven't
seen any human research on this, but a lot of testimonials I've heard
confirm that the same thing happens with people.  So, if you're using
artificial sweeteners, then wean yourself off of them over a span of
several days . . . ideally you'd even give up the coffee or tea or soda
pop, substituting some kind of benign herbal tea (e.g., just about anything
put out by Celestial Seasons), spiked with, say, a little freshly squeezed
lemon juice.  Doing this should really decrease your cravings for sugar
and junk food, thereby making it easier to "stay on the wagon."

Cheers!
Gregg C.