From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 16:50:37 +1000
Yes, roots are a very important food for hunter-gatherers as Cordain
published in April AJCN, but didn't focus on. Organ meats are the
other
improtant food, but I wouldn't go for grain fed liver only pasture
fed.

My real aim is to identify "stroon" which is my word for the real
plant
food(s) that we evolved on. [Sci-fi buffs may recognise stroon as
coming
from Cordwainer Smith's Norstrilia series- stroon was the most
expensive
substance in the universe- it was a drug that gave indefinte lifespan-
it
was a virus made in mutated sheep on Norstrilia- a planet founded by
farmers
from old Northern Australia. Smith was the pen-name of the US
ambassador to
Australia- his works are witty and full of cryptic satire, I loved
reading
them]

Melissa Darby has proposed that Sagittaria latifolia may have been a
major
food component in our prehistoric diet:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0007&L=paleodiet&F=&S=&P=670
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0007&L=paleodiet&F=&S=&P=146
perhaps this is stroon???? Again the problems of watery sites having
few
archeological remnants occurs- made worse by plant foods leaving
little
evidence behind.

Ben Balzer