From:
Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 07:58:24 -1000
It may be best to get your roe (fish eggs) fresh. But probably difficult for
people living away from fishing areas. When a fish is gutted it may contain
sperm or eggs depending on the season-both are very edible.

There is generally a pair of sacks which contain the roe. They will vary in
size and consistency and flavor depending on how far along the fish was in
maturing the eggs. They can be eaten as is, or dried. I like to split open
the roe sack, leaving the rest of the sack intact, and dry it in front of a
fan on a wire mesh (but a dehydrator would work too). Roe can be delightful
if you have the taste for it. Dried roe sometimes tastes like the scraps
left in a basket of fish and chips. I like the roe of fatty fish best.

BTW, when you order urchin at a sashimi bar you are getting the roe. Often
it has been frozen, and unfortunately it doesn't freeze well, leaving a
mushy and often acrid taste. But if you can find fresh urchin roe, and you
have a lot of extra cash ;), you will be in for a real treat...

Cheers,
Kirt