From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 02:19:48 MST
This is hot air and longer than I'd originally thought, so if you aren't up
for deep thoughts, hit delete.

Ben wrote -

>It's well documented that modern hunter gatherers don't do anywhere >near
>as much exercise as we think.

At first I thought what I'm about to write isn't paleolithically correct but
then I thought, hey, if dietary changes lead to health problems, couldn't
lifestyle changes lead to mental, emotional and spritual problems?  There's
at least a loose tie, so here goes.

Both the industrial revolution and agricultural evolution were double-edged
swords.  There was more food, but much of it wasn't good for us and may have
led to overpopulation.  Production became faster and more effecient, but we
polluted the air and forced young children into hard labor.

Modern life also has pros and cons.  I'm firmly convinced that the economic
gains of the modern world, in addition to breaking the backs of many third
world laborers and a lengthy litany of other injustices, have also led to
the breakdown of the human soul.  No, I can't back this up and it's only an
opinion*.  But far too many Americans and, I'm sure, other members of
Western society, are so busy achieving financial gain that they are letting
life's simple beauties slip right by.  Instead of spending the time we've
gained with those we love, seeking truth or trying to make the world a
better place, we're spending money at the mall to keep up with the Joneses
or otherwise wasting the time and energy we've been given.

Despite tribal warfare and other maladies, I'm sure early humans were, in
some ways, more balanced than we are today.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO

*Nugget of the day - opinions are like a**holes; we all have 'em and they
all stink.  Kinda keeps things in perspective, dunnit? ;p