Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 08:23:23 -0400
Kent <[log in to unmask]> posted:
Does anyone else think that these numbers seem a little off?  I haven't
done any actual measurements, but my impression was that the weight reduces
by more like 50% when foods are dried.  A factor of 6 or 7 seems too high
to me; does anyone else have any experience?

My reply:
I've weighed foods before and after drying and the factor of 6 or 7 to 1 is
very consistent with apples and many other fruits.  Check out a dehydrator
book if you doubt this.  With meat, the type of meat (amount of moisture)
can vary.  Different temperatures and degrees of doneness will affect the
yield.  In Ray's book he lists 7 pounds of steak to 1 pound jerky for
pemmican.  If you take the meat out before it is bone dry, your yield will
be higher.  I have gotten 1 pound of jerky from 4 pounds of very lean beef,
but I don't think I made it as dry as Ray does.  I've also dried it longer,
which reduces moisture and weight.

Rachel