From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:28:45 +0300
 > Actually, Amadeus did not make a general claim about animal
 > carcasses being a poor source of fat.  What he has claimed is
 > that the carcasses of the typical animals that live in arid
 > savannah environments are a poor source of fat, and he has
 > provided documentation for that claim from a source that is
 > generally respected around here: Loren Cordain.

  Allright, that was a genuine misundrstanding on my part, for which i
 apologize. By the way, are you writing from the remote depths of a savannah? Are any of us? I wonder why not.  Because food is so limited there of course.

  > I share the skepticism of many here regarding Amadeus's theory
  > that tubers were a mainstay of the savannah diet.  At least, I'd
  > need to have some more information about the types and quantities
  > of tubers available in that environment before I would be
  > persuaded.  But if that information is forthcoming, I'm prepared
  > to change my mind.

  I've found some info, so you need be skeptical no longer. The book "Guns.
  Germs and Steel' by jarrod Diamond talks of the New Guinea Highlands where
  due to lack of suitable game the main food is tubers - yams. Despite
  scrounging for spiders, frogs, et al, the children suffer severe protein
  deficiencies with swollen bellies. There's the fabled Tuber Tribes.
  Children are less capable of dealing with plant anti-nutrients found in
  tubers and grains than adults.  Last year [or year before?] the UN World
  Food Program had the hide to send tons of corn to starving refugees in
  Somalia.  As the TV coverage showed, the people were enraged because they
  knew the  children could not digest it thoroughly. And corn is a better
  option than any tuber.

  > You may not like it, but he's not just making this stuff up.

  He's invented the whole tuber theme out of thin air.  I, OTOH, have provided a concret example of the folly of a tuber based diet.  Tubers are a much
 poorer source of fat than the leanest meat, let alone complete proteins.
 Further, any diet high in carbs - that is, high relative to your biochemical
 tolerance - promotes insulin resistance and all its accompanying 'modern'
 diseases - diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressue, kidney failure. This
 is the key health issue in paleo vs non-paleo eating.
  Why don't you try living on tubers for a month if you think its credible?

  Andrew