From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 23:52:39 -0700
>On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Ingrid Bauer wrote:
>
>> >That is no doubt true, just as feedlot meats are considered by
>> >many to be "far from paleo" for similar reasons.  In the
>> >strictest sense of the word, the only foods that are paleo are
>> >literally wild foods:wild game and undomesticated plant foods.
>>
>> before going to that extreme you have domestic foods grown organically
and
>> not transformed after harvest .
>
>Of course.  You can draw the "paleo" line wherever you want, but
>the line I've indicated above is the only non-arbitrary one.
>Domesticated foods are modified foods.  How important are the
>modifications?  There is so simple answer to that question.
>Those organically grown fruits are still bred to have greater
>sugar content than wild fruits, and they are still often shipped
>great distances, after which they may sit for days on the
>supermarket shelves.

you talk like me !

>> as long you get dependant on supermarket it will be like that forever
>
>Sure, but plenty of people are dependent on supermarkets.  If
>your point is that people would be better off avoiding them
>altogether, I won't argue.  But the question that started all
>this was whether cashews and peanuts are paleo.  I think the
>answer is yes *with the same caveat that applies to just about
>every other so-called "paleo" food* -- namely, that what you get
>in the store may be very far from the "real thing."

yes and that is my point calling those foods paleofoods is really
missleading . they are not only the products of the neolithic mind but when
processed so heavelly the products of the industrial mind . twice removed
from the paleolithic mind ( taking everything as it is without wishes to be
different )

>> >For the rest, it's enough to know that
>> >a food is the *type* of food that could be considered strictly
>> >paleo, even though it has been altered in ways that probably
>> >compromise its value.
>>
>> enough for what ? you know first hand the limitations of the NEanderthin
's
>> form of paleo eating .what do  you expect to happen if you eat obese
animals
>> ? is it just a question of eating more fishes to balance .

>I don't know.  Eating free-range meat has never made and
>discernible difference to my situation.

there is a huge difference in taste beetween a grass fed beef ( that could
be different from  a " free range"  also ) and one finished with grains even
just little .
i have 2 kinds of beefs available to me pure grass and the other grass fed
also but supplemented with a handfull (really ) of certified organic feed
every day . they just don't taste the same.
 taste is my only one  evaluation tool but i presume that the composition
will be different too.

  By "enough" I guess I
>was referring to the minimum standard of paleo that most people
>on this list use.  I fully recognize that it is a *minimum*
>standard

what food would you favorise in your diet a wild food from the new world or
a domesticated form of a wild food from the old world ?

jean-claude