From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:08:02 -0500
Phinney found no performance degradation from very low carb as long as
you give it enough time. Here's what he says about the time for
adaptation:
"There are to date no studies that carefully examine the optimum
length of this keto-adapatation period, but it is clearly longer than
one week and likely well advanced within 3–4 weeks. The process does
not appear to happen any faster in highly trained athletes than in
overweight or untrained individuals. This adaptation process also
appears to require consistent adherence to carbohydrate restriction,
as people who intermittently consume carbohydrates while attempting a
ketogenic diet report subjectively reduced exercise tolerance."

Stephen D Phinney, Ketogenic diets and physical performance, Nutr
Metab (Lond). 2004; 1: 2.

Note that he also called for adequate sodium, potassium (and I would
atgue for magnesium) nutriture as well as moderate protein intake to
prevent gluconeogenesis.

Jim Swayze
www.fireholecanyon.com
Sent from my iPhone