From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:13:10 -0500
From: "C.B." <[log in to unmask]>
<snip>
> What I'll get at is the possibility that some weight gain just might be
> immune-related. That's been mentioned, I think possibly on this list *or
one
> like it*. Though some of this might sound off topic, I'm just trying to
> figure out how pieces of a Paleo lifestyle fit.

This is the basic thinking behind Neanderthin. Ray says it's "foreign
proteins" found in dairy, wheat, corn, beans, etc.

The original edition of Neanderthin hardly mentioned carbs in fact. The
emphasis was in avoiding foreign proteins.

This is the big element missing in Atkins. There is no accounting for
foreign proteins, or food allergies, or food intolerances, whatever you want
to call them.

I think that a lot of people respond badly to corn, wheat, dairy, beans (in
that order??) and this stalls their weight gain. Atkins allows some dairy,
and I notice that people on Atkins who do not seem to lose weight are often
eating low carb desserts or cheese.

It isn't just these suspect foods, either, as many of us know.

In my situation, I discovered intolerance (allergy, whatever) for tomatoes,
peppers, eggplant, and chocolate. I avoid these foods except for a small
amount of cayenne, chipotle, etc. It has made a major health difference but
it was never easy to discern when I was on SAD. It became more evident on
Atkins.

It's easy to notice that these are all "new world foods." I'm not sure what
it is in them, but they bother me and I think they interfere with weight
loss.

Does Cordain address the issue of food intolerances and weight gain?

> For that matter, I've wondered why some asthma drugs are said to cause
> weight gain.

Which ones? Some asthma drugs have effects similar to cortizone. These could
easily cause weight gain, but they could also cause increase in muscle mass
not necessarily fat, right?

--Richard