From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:09:33 -0500
On Thu, 2 Nov 2000 07:16:51 -0800, Trish Tipton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>When I ordered my grass fed beef 4 months ago, *at $1.42 a pound, cut and
>wrapped* (sorry had to brag =o]  )  I took the liver, heart, kidney and
>suet at just wrapping costs. Which was .42 cents a pound.  I was also
>offered the skin, which I gave to a good friend who also wanted the head.
> Remember, when you buy a cow or bull for butcher, you are paying for
>everything, so might as well take what you can get. Even the bones.  Take
>all that you can, that gives you an opportunity to try it and to see if
>you like it. Splitting my order with 2 other people made it easier and
>cheaper for all of us.
>Trish

Trish,

Thanks for your reply.

I could get the meat for $1.30 per lb (processed) if I bought a whole
steer, but I don't have that much freezer space, so I am going through a
"middle man" who will purchase the steer and sell off the meat in quarters
or by the cut.  I know I am getting screwed.  If I knew 1-3 other people
that would split a whole steer then I could get a great deal.

The great thing is that I talked to the "middle man" and he is going to
give me the organs and suet at cost (hopefully, free)!  He told me that 15
yrs ago the processor used to butcher and package nearly the entire steer ,
but now must pay a rendering company to come get the organs, etc.

So far I plan to get liver, brain, heart, sweetbreads, and suet.  I want to
get some bones for the marrow, but I am not sure I have enough freezer
space.

Questions:
What bones are easily stored and contain good amounts of marrow?
How big is the liver, and into what thickness should I get it cut?
From a steer, do the sweetbreads include the thymus and pancreas?
Can all of the organs be frozen, and for how long?

Thanks,

Brad