From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 00:05:40 -0500
Amadeus,  your science and philosophy are largely vindicated by
professor
Cordain;  insofaras you hve stated that your quest is not to  argue
for a
vegan
diet but to replicate paleo as true as possible from what is
available.
Alas, many who consider black angus or any other barnyard breed burger
part
of a paleo diet,   and believe me,  I am one who loves the taste and
eats
pounds and pounds,  cannot kid ourselves that it has much to do with a
supportable  paleo  approach.   Todd Moody's recent post of the
Ames'articles
nails it as far as I am concerned that the most important aspect of
eating
paleo is getting the micronutrients and phytochemicals from the plant
domain
that fight the free radical battle. The omega 3 vs. 6 fats is the
other big
issue and beef doesn't help much there.  I think Ames' mea culpa over
enviromental chemical carcinogens is overstated and I would still
prefer
avoid
eating the chemicals that kill the snails and weevils in their tracks
if I
can
help it.  Many of the pesticides are hormone mimics and I think
childhood
and
early adult cancers which are  not nearly uncommon enough were
sidestepped
in
Ames' recent rhetoric.  I am going to try and counteract the free
radicals
in
my  well cooked bacon, grilled chicken and rare burgers with fresh
veggies
and
fruit and pound nuts instead of jerky for snacks.  Rick