From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:28:26 -0600
We interrupt this paleo discussion for some clarification of the high
intensity and superslow protocols.

Kelly > There is no miracle in superslow training and the studies showing
it superior to normal training have been flawed in many respects

There are also studies that show that black is white and cats prefer the
tango to the foxtrot.  You can find studies anywhere to support whatever
misconception you happen to feel like harboring today.  Common sense goes a
long way.  But you're right that superslow's not miraculous -- I don't
think anyone expects it to be.  But it is superior to any other method I'm
aware of because done right it allows for maximum inroad, an absolute
requirement for muscular growth.

> Muscle growth is a function of load and fatigue and muscle growth (in
most people) is best stimulated by a set duration of 40-60 seconds.  The
fact that superslow trainees pay attention to this time under tension is
probably why most of them get decent results from it. You could do a rather
normal set of 10 repetitions paying attention to rep speed (2 seconds down,
1 second pause, 1 second up etc.) with each repetition lasting 4-6 seconds
and get excellent results.

Agreed that 40-60 seconds is about right for the rep.  And, yes, you can
get excellent results from one set of 10 reps on a 2 down, 1 up rep speed.
But you'll get better results still with a 4 down, 8 up rep speed,
emphasizing the positive work.  And cause a lot less stress on your joints
because you'll be using less weight and be moving that lower weight much
more slowly.

> Also H.I.T. will work but is really not conducive for a beginner who
needs repetition at learning the various movements

You'll only be a beginner for the first three workouts or so.  But you're
right.  Unless you enjoy intense soreness, you probably want to hold off on
high intensity work for those first few sessions until your muscles get
used to the idea.  As for your learning comment, what better way to learn
the movements than superslow?

Two quotes from Arthur Jones:
"...the growth of human muscular tissue is related to the intensity of
exercise; increases in strength and muscle-mass are rapidly produced by
very brief and infrequent training ... if the intensity of exercise is high
enough..."

"...increasing the amount of training is neither necessary nor desirable .
. . on the contrary, a large amount of high intensity training will
actually reduce the production of strength and muscle mass increases..."

I personally do high intensity, full body workouts lasting about 20 minutes
each two times a week.  Now back to your regularly scheduled paleo
discussion.