From:
Robert McGlohon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 23:04:05 -0600
> WTG Robert.  I too have lost over 80 on Atkins and am considering
> NeanderThin at the present.  Just got the book and have found it to be
> interesting and thought providing.
>
> As a former Atkid yourself, maybe you can relate to my concerns.
>
> The thought of adding fruit right now seems unimaginable and
> I am concernedabout gaining weight.  The whole variety issue
> seems very appealing adding more fruit, veggies, and some nuts
> to the mix.  How did you address these issues?

> howardc
> 294/211/???
> Atkid 6/10/98
> Non-Smoker 12/19/98

Howard,

Congrats.  The first 80 lbs. is the most rewarding.  I've still got 80-100
lbs. to go and am struggling.

I've found that, with moderate exercise, I can eat pretty much eat all I
want of paleo foods -- even cheat occasionally -- and *maintain* my weight.
Losing weight, for me at least, requires either increased activity or
ketosis, and the latter doesn't have the *kick* it used to.  Also, the
better I feel, the less weight is a concern, and the slower it drops.

As others have pointed out, fruits and vegetables don't have to be
high-glycemic, which is the Atkin's demon (and mine).  My problem is that I
don't care for vegetables, so my actual diet is mostly meat and nuts.  For
me, going from Atkin's to Neanderthin didn't involve an increase in variety,
but a decrease -- no cheese, no butter, no diet sodas.  It took a little
bit, but in the end giving up diet sodas wasn't that bad.  I've finally lost
the taste for them and am quite happy with tea and water.  Cheese is just a
matter of perspective:  Do you really want to eat spoiled milk?  Gross! (At
least, that's what I keep telling myself, and I think it is starting to
work.)  I may never give up using butter occasionally for cooking, but have
found that olive oil is a great substitute.

I like Neanderthin better than Atkin's for one simple reason:  Atkins tells
you how his diet works;  Ray and Troy tell you *why* their diet works.  Even
if I'm wrong, I like to fool myself into thinking I know why I'm doing what
I'm doing.  I'm also convinced that Neanderthin is but a small part of a
different way to look at the world, one that I would like to explore.

Good look in your exploration of Neanderthin.  You'll find this list to be a
big help.  There are some big brains here who can answer just about any
question you have.  I mostly lurk, scratching my head and muttering Omega
what?  Bioflavinwho?

Robert