From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 20:51:28 -0600
>In physiology class in college our text said that the function of the stomach
>acid (hydrochloric) was to break the protein down to amino acids. I
>haven't seen
>any updates that changed that. I am not trying to avoid or kill bacteria, my
>immune system takes care of the balance. I thrive on "semi-spoiled meat".

Hi David - I think I have read somewhere that hydrochloric acid is
used to maintain stomach pH within a certain range in order for the
enzyme pepsin to act on proteins. Thanks, BTW, for sharing your raw
meat experiences. I'll be moving in that direction to see if it
reduces my sleep requirements. Cheers, Jo