Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 16:54:36 -0400
Deborah Birkett  said:
>>It makes me a little concerned about not having enough iodine in my diet
though, so I occasionally take a supplement that includes some kelp.... I
still wonder if I'm getting "enough," but I'm not sure what "enough" would
be. Is iodine essential? How much do we need?

My reply:
I suggest you get a copy of Ron Schmid, NDs book, Traditional Foods Are Your
Best Medicine.  He talks about fish, seafood, and sea vegetables and the
role they have played in primitive diets, in providing iodine and other
nutrients.  Here is what he says about iodine on page 198 (I won't type the
whole thing; his book is good and contains a lot of great information):

"Another nutrient in short supply in the diet of many Americans is iodine.
Price found people in immune groups invariably cosumed many times the trace
amounts found in most American diets and recommended by the government.
Much of our food is iodine poor because it is produced far from the oceans.
Historically, goiter belts throught the world have occured in inland
areas---regions where a substantial part of the population suffered from the
enlarged thyroid gland resulting when the gland grows in an attempt to
utilize what little iodine is present in the diet."

"Goiter is a symptom of hypothyroidism or myxedma--chronic, grossly low
thyroid function.  Iodized salt helped alleviate the problem, but many
Americans suffer from chronic subclinical low thyroid function, not
necessarily so marked as to cause goiter or be detected by blood tests, but
nonetheless causing symptoms and contributing to the development of chronic
diseases.  Eating liberal amounts of foods rich in iodine--seafood and sea
vegetables such ad dulse---guards against this.  Supplemental kep tablets,
sea vegetables such as dulse, or certain forms of liuqid iodine may also be
used to supply iodine and trace minerals found in the sea."  (from Ron
Schmid's, Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine.)

Dulse and wild nori sea vegetable (not the same as cultivated sushi nori or
dulse granules), may be soaked and added to salads raw; or lightly toasted
in a 200 degree F. oven for 20 minutes, stored in a jar, then crumbled over
salads, cooked eggs, or steame or sauteed vegetables at the table for a nice
crunch, great taste, and added trace minerals.  Many of the groups Weston
Price studied ate sea vegetables.  Those who lived inland often trades with
coastal people, to get plant and animal life, as well as sun dried sea salt,
and the special nutrients from the sea.

We have had previous discussions on this list (a year or so ago) about
unrefined, sun dried, mineral rich sea salt, which contains no added
aluminum, dextrose, or fillers, and is  not iodized, but naturally contains
some iodine because of its source.  I got our local natural foods store to
carry Celtic Sea Salt, but you can also order it from Natural Lifestyle
Supplies in Ashville, NC.  1-800-752-2775.   I have used this sea salt for
more than 12 years.  I can taste the difference between this and commercial
"sea salt" and so can my cooking students who try it!

I am not affiliated with NLS company.  I just know they sell that product
and some of the best, most inexpensive, sturdy, and lightweight vegetable
knives, called Mac or Caddie knives, (which I also use for meat and fruit),
which I've used for 17 years.

Cheers,

Rachel