From:
Adam Sroka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:04:45 -0400
Agreed. But, the problem I have with Dr. Atkins and others is the "who
can sell more candy bars" bit that I mentioned. He (God rest his soul)
is probably the worst of the bunch, because his company sells all kinds
of crap that should never  be put into a living thing
http://atkins.com/atkins-products.html.

Also, counting carbs can be good, but it depends on the needs of the
individual. Thus, Atkins, like all the others, will work for some folks
and not for others. And, there is no available explanation to those for
whom it doesn't work (At least not from Atkins, who wants you to believe
that his plan works for everyone.) For example, I am an athlete involved
in a mostly anaerobic sport (Mixed Martial Arts.) Going on a ketogenic
diet does not work for me, since it makes it almost impossible to keep
up with my training routine. I need a certain amount of carbs, because I
use them every day. This makes me different from the average person who
doesn't use them every day but stores them instead. For that person,
storing less carbs is good. For me, storing a few carbs is good, because
I will use them within 48 hours at most (And not storing them means that
I will have to find the energy elsewhere...)

The other thing is that no one represents the middle ground. There are
plenty of folks saying, "More whole grains," and plenty others saying,
"As few carbs as possible," but there is no one saying anything in the
middle. That is a part of American culture, everything has to be to the
extreme, but it means that the best advice for a lot of people has no
voice.