From:
Jacques Laurin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:35:00 +0000
Todd Moody wrote:

> I'm not sure why you thought this about tolerance.  To the extent
> that one is adapted to a food, one tolerates it.  There are
> degrees of adaptation and degrees of tolerance.  Persistance of
> the lactase enzyme into adulthood means increased tolerance for
> dairy foods, though not necessarily *perfect* tolerance.

> Perhaps you are thinking of tolerance as it is sometimes applied
> to drug addicts who, tolerate greater doses of the drug even as
> they need greater doses to get the desired effect.

No, I was thinking of tolerance as a breach of immunological surveillance. The body gives
up defending itself, and from then on, the foreign protein can infiltrate through and
through without being prevented by anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but intolerances to
cow's milk are not due to lactose, it not being an antigen, but rather to cow's dairy
proteins.

Jacques Laurin