From:
Stephen Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:20:15 EST
In a message dated 1/29/02 7:42:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Just last week someone gave my husband a review copy of a new book on salt
> that is utterly fascinating and cuts through so many salt myths perpetuated
> by the media, health professionals, doctors, etc.  It goes farther than
> "The
> Salt Solution" and confirms Cordain's view that both the sodium and
> chloride
> ions are poisons.  The chloride portion may be even more detrimental.  The
> book covers so many disorders, including thyroid problems, which some on
> this list have expressed concern about.

The sodium and chloride ions are absolutely essential for life. This is
unquestionable. Potassium is also essential. Trying to figure otherwise makes
no sense at all. Added salt is detrimental to some but definitely not all
people. Added salts benefit or harm has absolutely nothing to do with the
essential nature of these ions to everyone. These two abstracts cover both
sides of the salt issue, but in no way can life go on without these ions. <A HREF="http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/71/5/1013">
AJCN -- Abstracts: McCarron 71 (5): 1013</A> and <A HREF="http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/71/5/1020">AJCN -- Abstracts: Kaplan 71
(5): 1020</A>