From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:16:10 +0000
Hi,

I have been eating, for about a week now, a virtually carb-free diet.
I've ate for a long time just one or two meals a day, only after 6pm.
But recently I've restricted my veg to salad leaves and low-carb veg,
eg celery, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms.  This is partly an
experiment, partly due to practical reasons, and partly to cut the cost
of my food.  But I have a few questions...

I remember hearing a while back that severe carbohydrate restriction
causes your thyroid gland activity to reduce, and I've heard reports
that this can prevent weight loss in over-weight people.  I interpreted
this as a kind of "winter mode", where the body becomes eager to
conserve fat when food is scarce.  Is this true, and has anyone here
experienced it personally?

One reason I am interested in the answer is that my thyroid gland (and
I suspect my adrenals too) is slow.  Will going ultra-low carb give it
a rest, or just make things worse?  I've started taking thyroid  and
adrenal glandular supplements* to see if that helps things too.  I plan
to take them for 6 months as another experiment.  I'm not sure how
often paleo hunters would have consumed animal glands.  The thyroid
glandulars I've bought are thyroxin-free though, so they won't suppress
my own thryoid.

(As an aside- I'm quite fond of raw cauliflower.  Will eating a small
amount- say 1/3 - 1/2 of a cauliflower daily 2-3 days a week pose any
risk to my health?)

Also, has anyone noticed any other effects of eating ultra-low-carb, eg
reduced/increased energy/stamina, change is resistance to cold, change
in mood?  The last few days I've been quite tired, but then I've also
given up tea recently so I put most of my aches down to that.

Any comments much appreciated

Regards
Ashley

*Adrenal 221mg, pituitary 12mg, parotid 3mg (whatever that is) daily.
I'm also taking 0.5-1g L-Tyrosine and occasionally 150µg iodine