From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:20:54 +0100
You're right, it is mainly learned behaviour re tastes/preferences for or against raw meats. For example, one reason I suspect that people usually find it easier to get used to eating raw seafood than raw meat is the huge prevalence of high-street sushi and sashimi bars and restaurant chains which reassure people, on a psychological level, that eating raw fish is "OK". Similiarly, I had no problems eating raw, ground meats when I first went in for raw animal foods as I'd frequently had (raw) steak tartare in hungarian restaurants, in previous years.

That said,  it takes people c.8-12 months to get used to (and enjoy) the taste of  raw animal foods, in general. And it really helps  speed the process up if one avoids eating cooked-foods during that phase. So, given the length of time involved to get used to it all,  it's not recommended unless you're suffering from some health-problem that won't go away while on other diets.

Geoff

> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:47:37 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Counting Calories?
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> I can't speak for everybody, but some people do regularly eat raw poultry.
> Randy Roach (who is a physical culture historian and a frequent guest on
> the Superhuman Radio Show, which is quite interesting and has featured some
> paleo friendly interviews) talks about eating raw chicken regularly. Most
> of the raw food eaters on this list talk more often about beef.
> By the way, I agree with your opinion. I'm fine with just about any raw
> seafood, but raw or even undercooked poultry makes me nauseous, while I can
> stomach beef that's pretty rare as long as it is at least cooked on the
> outside. I would also say that this is a learned behavior - I'm not making
> the claim that because I find the stuff unpalatable that's any kind of
> evidence that we're not "supposed to" eat raw food. I'm pretty sure that if
> mom had fed me raw meat as a toddler I'd be munching away on the stuff now.
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Day, Wally <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Joseph said:
> >
> > > I hope it's not, as I personally can't stomach raw meat
> >
> > Brings up a question of mine. I find raw seafood (sashimi) and certain cuts
> > of raw beef palatable. However, other cuts of raw beef as well as almost all
> > poultry I find completely UN-palatable. I cannot stand the smell, taste, or
> > appearance of raw poultry (and, I've been known to eat just about anything
> > at least once). I will eat raw chicken/turkey organs, but that's about it.
> >
> > So, when members here talk about raw meat, are they talking about beef
> > (and/or other red meat)? Does anyone fancy raw chicken or turkey (or duck or
> > goose)? Anyone here regularly eat raw insects?
>

> --
> Visit my Training blog:
> http://karateconditioning.supersized.org

Celebrate a decade of Messenger with free winks, emoticons, display pics, and more.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/157562755/direct/01/