From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 19:07:25 -0500
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:18 steve wrote:

>Andrea Hughett wrote:
>> I am not getting the RDA for potassium...

The potassium/sodium balance is also important, not just the total amount of each.

>While the Inuit diet can teach us something, it isn't representative of
>a paleo diet since paleo diets got 20-40 percent of their calories from
>carbs, usually low density very high fiber types.  The Austrian
>Aboriginal diet which has been studied in detail is more representative.

I guess you mean AustrALian Aboriginal diet. There is no such
thing as a "typical paleo diet". The Australian Aborigines in
Tasmania, for example gave up using fire about 3,000 years
ago and lived largely on mutton birds and their eggs and
shellfish - all, of course, raw.

To get a balanced idea of the range of hunter-gatherer diets
(taken from ethnographies) I recommened the table listing 390
hunter-gatherer peoples in Lewis Binford's "Constructing
Frames of Reference". (Note that not one is vegetarian -
omnivory is one thing we can say IS "typical".)

Keith