From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 16:35:02 +0000
>Hi Andrew;

But according to the flax fact sheet at URL below, ALA is converted to two
main long-chain fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic
acid (DHA), so flax, rich in ALA leads indirectly, to DHA and EPA
production. Therefore it doesn't really matter if those two nutrients are
not in flax.<

Well, that requires that we have all the necessary enzymes in the right
place at the right time, and that we are naturally suited to extracting the
goody from flax. To me, these are unanswered evolutionary questions. In
dogs, for instance, if you'll pardon me, we have found that flax is not
well utilized, and that allergic reactions often result from its use. I've
found so many similarities between what works for my dog and for me that I
much prefer obtaining Omega 3's directly from fish oils and grassfed meats.
Consuming flax in the large quantities necessary doesn't seem biologically
appropriate to me, since I do quite well on a mostly carnivorous diet.

ginny, and my research assistant, Tomo

All stunts performed without a net!