Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 15:42:24 -0500
> From:    n c <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Slightly off-topic (kava)
>
> Has anyone tried kava?

Nancy -

I started using Kava last week, and have formed a few distinct opinions of
it.

First though, this is *not* an endorsement, nor the opinion of a physician,
just my own personal experience.

1) Kava does seem to relax me, and I've read that it compares somewhat with
a low dose of xanax. That is, you relax a bit, but don't get fuzzy headed,
or intoxicated. I think the kava takes the edge off of food cravings a bit
too. For instance, if I have a craving for chocolate, and I have the kava
before deciding whether to give in or not, I find that I no longer have the
craving afterward.

2) It tastes crappy. So far, the best way I've found to take it is
borderline non-paleo, or will be difficult if you're doing a very-low-carb
diet. That is, I use either some concentrated decaff expresso, or a
powerfully flavored fruit juice, like cranberry juice. You only need a few
ounces though, so it's not *too* bad a paleo violation.

3) You have to experiment with the dosage, to figure out what your threshold
is, and that depends on the kind of kava powder you buy. I found it
available on the net, and can supply more information about my experience if
you wish.

4) Did I mention it tastes crappy?

Regards,

Ken Green