From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:41:08 EST
In a message dated 12/20/02 3:55:07 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>After the animal has been
>
>slaughtered, the glycogen in the muscle is converted into lactic acid,
>and
>
>the muscle and carcass becomes firm (rigor mortis). This lactic acid is
>
>necessary to produce meat, which is tasteful and tender, of good keeping
>
>quality and good colour.

This concurs with my food science books -- the end result is there is little
or no carbohydrate in meat and even the liver where  most glycogen is stored
ends up with little carbohydrate. Four ounces of pan fried beef liver has 8.9
carbs and 4 ounces of chicken liver has only about 1 gr, carb after it's
cooked. (source: Netzer's Food Counts) -- No where near the carb count of 4
ounces of potatoes as Todd suggested. Four ounces of potatoes cooked results
in anywhere between 19.4 - 24.4 depending on the type.

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>