From:
"Anna L. Abrante" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 07:23:23 EDT
In a message dated 8/12/99 2:07:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

>  > Having people eating *any* meat raw, in any amount, will
>  > not only expose them to salmanella, but E. coli and others.
>  > E. coli is deadly to us.
>
>  E. coli is quite common not just in meat. If it is so deadly to us why
>  are there relatively so few problems with it? You are sounding alarms
>  without enough data.

Because we don't eat vast amounts of it...I took issue with
eay *any* meat, in *any* amount.

And we have all heard of the deaths caused my the tainted
Jack in the Box hamburgers a few years back.  Young children
died. And from very small amounts. It's the young ones, and
 the older ones that are not
strong enough to handle these microbes...most of us here
could probably survive a dose of the bugs.  But to encourage
people to eat of things they just pick up anywhere, (and by
this I mean meats from unk origins and treatment) is too
broad a stroke for me.

I used to work with a 30 yr old man that nearly lost half
of his intestine to E.coli.  He was strong as an ox
before the infection. My 10 yr old daughter once got
a dose of it when she was 4.  She had to be hospitalized
with severe dehydration after only 1 day, because of the
fluid loss. It took a day and a half of IV's to rehydrate her.

 It isn't always just *the runs* for a few days.

And as for data....I don't need to memorize years of
experience and the dates, times, and places of occassional
reports in the media, in order
 to take on an issue at some unknown date in the future,
just because someone wants to read about it at that time.
Some things don't require references, like looking both
ways before crossing the street....for example.

Anna