From:
William Schnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:48:56 -0500
I used fresh ground flax for more than a year. Found that it improved
appearance of skin and hair. Stopped using it when I learned of "phytates",
which are said to be present in the surface of all seeds, and interfere with
the absorption of nutrients.
 The definitive book on this subject has  been for me "Fats That Heal, Fats
That Kill" by Udo Erasmus, but he does not mention phytates, and writes most
about the oil. I won't use the oil - never fresh enough, and Udo writes that
flax oil becomes rancid very quickly.
 Can anyone refer me to info on the influence of flax phytates on
digestion/absorption?
William