From:
Molly Kate McGinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:46:18 -0700
merciful heavens, you guys, have you nothing better to do?

 I have watched this pronunciation round with bemusement - after all, there is no
reason at all to claim that " standard English" is going to be pervasive - we have so
far, no pronciation police, and that battle has been waged for a long time by English
teachers without noticeable result. I have heard "paleo" pronounced just about every
way that is humanly possible - I live in the San Francisco Bay area, which is quite
cosmopolitan and diverse.

This is a huge country, with rather noticeable differences amongst the regions. And I
observed even in much smaller Scandinavia, where I lived for a year decades ago,
there were regional dialectial differences. Rather like every thing involving human
beings, including diet.

Molly