From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:42:15 EST
Hi Wally,

> Claiming that lowcarb causes cravings is as ridiculous as claiming that
giving up drinking causes alcoholism...  Yes, if carbohydrates are a
problem for someone, then the process of eliminating them from the diet
can be briefly uncomfortable, but so is getting "clean" from any
addiction.

I strongly disagree with this. Your simile is very misleading. Carbohydrates
are a macronutrient that we need in order to live. Alcohol is a mild-altering
drug with no nutritional value whatsoever. When children don't get adequate
carbohydrates, they fail to grow. People differ in their carbohydrate
requirements, just as they differ in other respects. But everyone needs some
carbohydrates in their diet. If you don't get the carbohydrates you need,
your body will crave them. I'm not talking about addictive craving--I'm
talking about "body wisdom" craving.  These are different, and if you become
attuned to your body you can tell them apart.

> As for "ketosis," what's your problem with that? .... Ketones are the end
product of the process of the body reconverting stored fat into useable
energy (that's a GOOD thing...).  Ketones are produced when fat is
reconverted for ANY reason,
whether it's because of a low carbohydrate diet, a low fat/calorie starvation
diet, or actual starvation conditions.
> Without this system, stored fat would be useless, and we would immediately
have to cannibalize out own muscles for energy in the absence of food, and
would die in a very short time.

I believe you are incorrect about this. It is most definitely possible to
lose body fat without being in ketosis. Ketosis does not occur whenever the
body metabolizes fat. Ketosis occurs when the body does not get adequate
amounts of carbohydrates, and must find energy elsewhere. Yes, ketones
indicate that the body is burning fat, but in a desperate sort of way. You
have to eat fewer than 30 grams of carbohydrates per day to trigger ketosis.
I have lost significant amounts of weight (fat) in the past without reducing
my carb intake at all.  According to your theory, this should not be possible.

There is much debate about whether being in ketosis is healthy or not. My
view is that dropping a macronutrient to the point where the body initiates
desperate measures is probably not good. Also, I'm more comfortable with a
"lower" (not low) carb diet that keeps me out of ketosis.

> As Ray points out, "paleo" does not necessarily have to be "lowcarb," but
under realistic paleo conditions, it would work out to be so most of the
time in most locations.

I can't say for sure what Ray says, but in any case the statement is not
correct.  Ray is a smart guy, but he's not an anthropologist.  Take a look at
the messages in the paleodiet listserv archives.  The participants there are
a very impressive group with serious academic qualifications.  Loren Cordain
believes the paleo carbohydrate intake was about 40% of calories.  Boyd
Eaton, in his book "The Paleolithic Prescription", gives a similar estimate.
It's true that some hunter gatherers living in extreme climactic conditions
(like the Eskimos) eat extremely little carbohydrate, but these are the
exception, not the rule.

     - Sheryl