From:
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:53:19 -0500
Sure, Katrina.

I eat all the eggs, meat and fish I want.  That's Paleo.  I also eat lots
and lots of veggies..............except corn, beans (I do eat string beans),
potatoes.  I eat cheese............not Paleo, but very delicious and fun as
I've gotten into gourmet cheeses and such and cheese makes such a great
salad.  I eat olives, not too many fruits, but I do eat tomatoes, squash,
and cucumbers.  The fruit I eat is just raw fruit, mostly what neighbors
have grown.

That's what I eat all day...........EXCEPT AT DINNER.  At dinner I will have
a helping of high carb, generally nonpaleo type food:  bread, pasta, rice,
potato, corn, or beans.  Why?  Because I don't want to crave these things
and because my wife will make something like lasagna or bean soup and as
long as I have a salad and a bunch of veggies with it, I'm fine.  I just
didn't want to have the problem of never being able to eat the main
meal.............like when we go to someone's house.  Say they have a
casserole and there is macaroni in it............I don't want to have to say
I can't eat it.  On the other hand, I do reject deserts always, saying that
my diabetes won't allow it.
I think the reason why my diet is working is that my starches are generally
surrounded by a lot of low carb vegetables and meat or fish.  Because of
this I don't have the insulin spikes and my insulin resistance has gone
down.  In fact, I often have a glass of red wine and my blood sugar, even
right after dinner, has stayed completely normal (it spiked to 437 a few
months ago before I started this diet).
I've lost 38 pounds, lost my excessive appetite, my cholesterol is the best
ever, my proteinurea has dropped to a third of what it was, my blood sugar
is completely stable, and, although my blood pressure isn't great and I
still take medicine, it is better.  I look forward to my BP getting to
normal..........one can only hope!

I'm 52 and a few months ago I thought I was doomed and had given
up..................which is sad and frightening since I have two beautiful
children 8 and 13.  I told my wife last summer that I wouldn't live to see
them graduate from high school, and she should arrange her life to be ready
for being a single mother.............seriously.  Now I hope to see my kids
have kids of their own and I want to be at their high school graduation!

Basically, I think I am doing well because my body was never meant to be
able to process such huge amounts of carbohydrates, mostly in the form of
flour, sugar, and potatoes, all through the day.  Our ancestors just didn't
have that to eat.  Cutting that carbo load out of our diets is a healthy
thing.  What a horrible thing I was doing to my body for so many years
trying to eat low fat, trying to do without meat, eating tons of flour and
sugar.  At 270 lbs. I hit a place where I knew something was wrong.  Thanks
to Paleo and the Hellers (carbohydrate addicts diet) I think I live a long
while still.

Paul

Paul