From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 03:57:22 EST
In a message dated 12/6/02 9:04:12 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>That's interesting.  I thought all protein foods were the same in terms
>of
>glycemic index.

Protein foods don't figure so much in the glycemic index, but there's another
index- the insulin index that rates protein foods. Yes protein can stimulate
an insulin response like carbs  - generally not as great -- but and this is a
big BUT, protein also stimulates glucagon. People try to use it to claim that
protein is as bad as carbohydrates, but it's not. I wrote about this complex
response a while back. Should be in the archives.

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>