From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 11:11:09 -0700
At 12:20 PM 3/17/01 EST, Charles Alban wrote:
>The native paleo indians that lived here in California certainly did do
>weight training. They competed to see who could carry the heaviest rock. They
>took their health seriously.

I'm sure they did--gotta get the babes to look at you, at least :)

The few majorly into it body builders I've met have each gotten to a point
where they opted for muscle size over flexibility.  That would never have
worked in a h-g society, I suspect.  That, and working on every possible
muscle with the intensity these same guys applied, seem to me to be a
modern obsession.

"Bigger, stronger, faster" have always, to my knowledge, been selected
for...  especially when they mean more food, more respect, etc.

Along those same lines...  my personal visually-aesthetic preference I find
likes definition, but I find too much bulk or too sculpted a real turn-off
(see, even the way I put it, "too much")...  I find that an interesting
thing in myself... I wonder how much we're trained to find a particular
body type pleasing, how much is more instinctive (from the natural
selection pov), and how much is somehow individual?

Dianne