From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:00:58 -0800
> I'm not sure that "quantum mechanics" has anything
> to do with it, but the
> mindset/worldview of the scientist absolutely must
> affect the findings.

Now, I am not even close to be a "quantum mechanic",
but I do know in *their* world the assumption is made
that even "looking" at the results of an experiment
can affect the experiment (kind of a tree falling in
the woods makeing noise/no noise approach).

A "real world" analogy made to me: If you are
measuring the speed of a baseball pitch using a radar
gun, how can you be sure that the radar gun itself did
not affect the speed of the ball? To determine if it
did, you'd have to re-measure using another measuring
device. Then you'd have to check that device using a
third devide. And so on...... In other words, you
can't know, you just accept from prior experience or
general knowledge that radar waves *should not* affect
the speed of a moving object. But, **you never know**.

By the way, I could not get the link
http://www.phys.hawaii.edu/vjs/www/TimelessSkeptic.pdf
to work. I notice it's labeled as a PDF file. I have
the Acrobat Reader plug-in, so I think it should work.
Does it come up in Acrobat for anyone else?