From:
Stephen Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 08:17:56 EST
 <A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/03/magazine/03FOOD.html">Click here: Chic Cheeks</A> //   But cheeks aren't a fad. They've been around as
long as the animals they come from. (Cro-Magnon woman did a fairly exhaustive
job of finding the edible parts of nature some time ago.) Cheeks are tough,
fatty, gelatinous chewing muscles that require lengthy cooking. But when
treated properly, they are, to my mind, more densely beefy than just about
any other cut. While their preparation isn't exactly trouble free, most of
the work is done by your stove (a few hours of braising), and in hopes of
encouraging you to make them, know that I prefer the taste and texture of
cheeks -- calf, cow, pig, human -- to osso bucco, and I prefer nothing to
osso bucco. And just as you are forming price objections on your lips, also
know that like most stewing meats, they are about the best value for money
you can get: between $3 and $4 a pound. It's not the cheeks' fault that they
have become trendy. '' NEW YORK TIMES