From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 05:28:38 -0500
On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 06:45:56 +0300, Phosphor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>What this ignores is that paleo man, going by the evidence of latter-day
>H/G's, took fulladvantage of most of the carcass, including brains and
>kidney suet. This would have boosted fat intake percentage.

Wild game meat is extremely low in fat, it's organs will have  high fat
levels - but rather low in weight. Amounts of fat in wild game should be
fount in seperate fat deposits like under the skin. In animals for which fat
is useful - like hibernating.

Maybe you've missed the recent discussion about fat in wild game. We have
striking data from Loren Cordaine from Paleodiet.
You can see the example of a kangaroo and how much which parts contribute to
total fat. The kangaroo lives in worm climate and therefore fat deposits
will be rare.

>To give another example from my own locale.  There is an ancient pine
>called
>the Bunya pine, growing only in one small area in Australia.  Aborigines
>trecked from across the country for the triennial bunya nut harvest....
>Bunya is about 70% fat.

Interesting story about this nut. I think the story underlines what i told
about fats. Real fat sources in the wild in worm areas are *nuts*.
The kangaroo story just matches too good:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0008&L=paleodiet&P=416

You can have an overview of our discussion by searching for kangaroo like:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S2=paleofood&q=kangaroo&s=&a=f+2000

>This is in a country packed with tropical and sub-tropical fruits.  The
>equation is simple..fat is life, lack of fat is death.

And fat is what is required to be able to eat wild game meat.
If gatherhunters like aboriginals want to take advantage of all possible
food resources, an additional fat source is important.

regards

Amadeus
(dreaming about visiting Australia sometime)