From:
Midas Gold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:48:41 -0400
Wade Reeser wrote:

> You out to read Lewis and Clarks expedition through the West.  There
> is one graphic description of a common Plains Indian hunting
> technique of running herds of buffalo off cliffs.  Much was not
> eaten and left to rot.

I'm by no means informed on this topic, but my understanding is that
the Plains Indians' horse-based, buffalo-hunting culture was only a
relatively recent innovation in their history - was it not?  After
all, horses weren't (re)introduced to the New World until the
Europeans arrived... and weren't many Indians driven westward by
European conquest/colonization in the east?  If so, then perhaps (as
Wade's post seems to indicate) this is not such a "natural" model of
human hunting behavior after all.  I look forward to the contributions
of those more informed about this than I am.

--
Deanna