From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 09:58:05 -0500
Well, I don't mean to be picky, but IMO that's sort of contradictory.  The
deterioration of bone is something caused by your previous diet, I'm
assuming from your note.  Neanderthin has "fixed" this problem only in that
by doing it you have removed the aggravating factors of your old diet and
so your bone is no longer deteriorating.  It might even be repairing to the
extent that your body is still able to restore it's normal equilibrium.  I
don't see where you get the idea that the diet is actively "fixing"
anything.  Not that I'm detracting from the diet, because I'm not.  I still
think it's the best step in the right direction that one can take given the
pathetic situation we are stuck in as regards the food supply available to
most of us.  But the diet's function is passive, not active.  By switching
to it, you remove aggravating factors.  It doesn't do anything active to
"repair" your body.  By removing the aggravating factors, it allows your
body to make whatever repairs it is still capable of performing.  My body
effected repairs up to a certain point, at which it stopped.  It apparently
could go no further, and I'm convinced that this is due to damage to my
metabolism, brought on by years of abuse and which ending the abuse does
not "actively" fix.  This is why I am convinced that there is a "point of
no return", where the metabolism is sufficiently damaged that the simple
removal of aggravating factors is not enough to return the body to it's
intended, optimal condition.

At list member Ed Campbell's reccommendation, I have monitored my body
temperature at differing times of the day over a span of two weeks.  Turns
out that only once did I even hit 98.0.  Usually my temp is 97.something.
 I have been doing Neanderthin since the end of April (although in all
fairness I must admit to a little backsliding towards Atkins during the
holiday season; after the 1st there'll be no more of that!).  Has it
repaired my metabolism?  Well, obviously no.  I don't think it can.  My
endocrine system appears to have been compromised by 32 years of ignorantly
eating garbage and low-fat/low-cal dieting at the behest of the government,
the medical community, and who knows who else behind the scenes.  (But
that's another rant entirely...<g>)  So there are two possibilities here.
 Either I will need to seek supplemental medical assistance or exercise
strenuously daily in order to restore my metabolism to the point where I'm
running at the right speed/temperature, or perhaps I am wrong and the
damage is not permanent but takes as long to undo as it did to do.  Should
the latter be the case, it's just the same as if it were the former,
because my body doesn't have another 32 years to wait.

Again, I'm not trying to tell anyone that Neanderthin or any other "paleo"
eating regimen is not correct, or at least the best possible option in a
very imperfect food supply situation.  What I'm saying is, it's not a
panacaea.  The symptoms you have that are actively being caused by
aggravating factors in your diet will most likely disappear when you switch
to Neanderthin, yes.  But it's probably a stretch to think that "I'm on
Neanderthin, now I'll revert back to a 'normal' person", especially if you
are like me; more than 75lbs overweight for extended periods and hoping to
remedy that.  Yes, you are going to lose some weight, but you are likely
not going to lose all of it without the same strenuous physical activity
that you had to do on any other diet to lose that last however-many pounds.
 Yes, your body will repair the damage that it is still capable of
repairing.  But I am beginning to see that there is some damage that the
mere removal of aggravating factors will not fix.  And as far as I'm
concerned, the jury is obviously still out on maintenance.  Sure, I can
maintain at 35lbs too heavy simply by eating "no-carb" without paying much
attention to portions.  However, if I'm ever blessed to have actually lost
the last 35lbs will that still work?  Or will I have to exercise like a nut
to make it work because of the damage to my metabolism?  My gut feeling is
the latter, although if I turn out to be wrong, not only will I be the
happiest person in the world, but you'll hear me preaching from the
mountaintops!

Take care,
John Pavao

   The NeanderTHIN regimen is _not_ merely a preventive approach.  I
lost my teeth to deterioration of the bone holding the teeth in place.
I won't get my bones & teeth back, but I feel that the deterioration of
other bones in my body has slowed down very greatly and may have even
stopped.