From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:22:22 -0700
Ken Stuart wrote:

>The thought "GMO is bad" is exactly the same thought as "meat is bad".
>
>No difference whatsoever.

This is really a silly statement, if you'll pardon the expression.

Humans and prehumans have been eating meat for 2 million years.  Humans
have been
eating GMO foods for about 20 years at most.  The GMO industry has got
laws to
actually PREVENT the labeling of the food, so this is an experiment with
humans as the
unwitting guinea pigs.

The largest category of GMO food is to increase the resistance of the
crops to
common herbicides such as Roundup.  This allows the farmer to spray
more to kill the weeds, meaning more residues in the food we eat.
This may seem just fine to some people, but it does not to me.

And let's not fall into the trap of GMO being "the only way to feed the
billions on this planet."
Most countries' farmers are too poor to buy the expensive seeds.  The
GMO seed
companies actually prosecute farmers who save their seed for the next
crop (standard
agricultural practice for the last 10,000 years).  Even if by some
peculiar occurrence all the farmers
on the planet used GMO seeds and somehow raised enough
food to feed "all the people", there would be more people the next year,
and no more
land and no more water to raise yet more crops to feed them.

Technology will not get us out of the pickle humanity finds itself in.
.As a species,
we're doing the same thing the hapless U.S. consumer has done with their
house equity:
tapped it for more and more value (debt) in order to spend it on
worthless tripe.
As a species we have been tapping the finite pool of petroleum in our
"house",
and using it to grow cheap corn, and power Hummers and air-conditioning.

Why would someone want to follow a Paleo diet, and then support the
degradation
of the world's food with GMOs? One of the justifications of eating Paleo
is that you
avoid nearly all the GMO crops (wheat, corn, soybeans, etc.), and
thereby remove
yourself from the guinea pig experiment.

    Lynnet