From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:20:04 CDT
>NELSON:
>I've recently been diagnosed with "mild" Graves disease.  If there is
>anyone on the list who's using Paleo to help with a thyroid >condition, I'd
>be interested in hearing about what you've been doing. >I'm seeing a
>holistic M.D. who's investigating possible alternative >treatments, since
>the endocrinologist has said "wait and see" about >starting any meds (which
>I'd prefer to avoid!!).

First question: How long have you been eating paleo?  If you've just
started, wait and see if diet can correct the problem.  If you've been doing
*strict* paleo for a good 2-3 weeks and the thyroid is still slow, then it's
time to start medication.

Second question: Just how low is your thyroid?  I'm talking specifics here -
you need to get a copy of the bloodwork from the endocrinologist.

If you've been doing paleo and your thyroid is still slow, then just drop me
an email and I'll give you Justin's Thyroid 101 class.  I'm not going to
post it here b/c it's a bit off topic.

(Quick side note here.  There's a few paleo hotshots on this list who think
all meds are bad.  Hormone replacement therapy and thyroids are an entirely
different ballpark.  I'm not going to get into a lengthy discussion about it
right now b/c I don't have time, but it's easy for someone who doesn't have
hypothyroidism or low hormones to say that meds are not needed.  I've
trained people with slow thyroids while they are trying to lose weight and
I've seen the struggle they go thru.  It's damn near impossible to lose fat
with a slow thyroid.  It also can trigger depression and lower self body
image - low hormone levels can do exactly the same thing.)

Justin Hasselman