From:
R Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 18:45:46 -0500
<<Can the paleo diet heal the gut damage of "autistic" children? I have had
my
son on the paleo diet with huge , simply huge improvement, but not a cure.
Awesome improvement.  But he is still labeled "high functioning
autistic"...>>

Pages 146-149 of the Protein Power LifePlan discuss how the Eades help their
clients heal leaky/damaged small intestines in a step-by-step fashion.  In
summary,
- avoid potentially inflaming substances such the lignins of grains and
beans
- consume from 20 to 40 grams of glutamine/day (this is the primary amino
acid the cells of the small intestine need )
- 90% of patients are OK eating food during the intense healing period.  But
patients with severe bowel disturbances benefit from a liquid meal
replacement before eating food

<<There are still gut/bowel problems. We still have chronic, recurrent
yeast.
Some parents say they have overcome this with thyroid medication..>>

The toxic by-products of "bad" bacteria and yeast in the colon likely caused
the original irritation to the walls of the small intestine.  I would think
that you would want to resolve this problem before undergoing a gut-rehab
program outlined above.

A "paleo" diet may be enough for many inflicted with yeast overgrowths to
heal since it starves the yeast of their favorite food - sugar.  In other
cases, a yeast kill/beneficial flora program might be considered.  In
general, this involves:
- yeast killers (oil of oregano, caprylic acid...)
- fiber supplement
- low carb diet
- liver support (milk thistle...)
- probiotic (acidophilus supplement)