From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:16:35 -0500
On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Philip Thrift wrote:

> >Yes, that appears to be right.  And your approach does not appear
> >to work for me.  If my carbs are low enough then the amount of
> >meat I have to eat to satisfy my appetite is sufficient either to
> >prevent weight loss or to cause weight gain.  The trick seems to
> >be to get enough carbs to control appetite so that I don't
> >overeat protein and fat.  I can do it, but it seems to be a very
> >narrow path indeed.
>
> But can you reduce body fat % -- or do you feel there is a threshold
> you can't go below ?

By my calculations, I have not been able to get my body fat below
15-16%, which actually isn't bad.  At the moment, it's about
17-18%.

For example, suppose I attempt an all-meat diet.  For a few days,
all is well and I lose body fat steadily.  As this occurs, I
start to get hungrier and I crave more fat.  No surprise there.
I feel like I want to eat every hour or so.  If I yield to my
appetite I will be eating large steaks at meals and piles of
chicken wings between meals.  Fat loss will stop and, after a
while, I will start to gain fat.  I've tried this enough times to
know the drill pretty well.

I tried your "turkey and water" plan for a few days, but simply
lacked the will power to continue.  Not only was it monotonous,
but my cravings for fat, or carbs, or *anything* but more turkey
were overwhelming.

The Anchell diet is very boring, but it seems to work by allowing
me just enough carbs to keep my appetite in check so that I don't
overeat protein and fat.  But over the long term is it difficult
to maintain because it is so restricted.  My results are good,
hoever, even if they are not as good as the results you get.  I
am still high-intensity weight training once every five days or
so.

So the routine for me is to do the Anchell diet or some equally
restrictive version of Neanderthin for as long as I can stand it,
then lapse and gain weight for a while, and so on.

Todd Moody