Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 19:09:27 -0500
On 3 April, 2004 12:08, you wrote:
My father is now 88 y/o
> and he remembers the children in his family lining up to get their teaspoon
> of cod liver oil.  He says he'll never forget the taste.

Me too, though I'm only 66. Mother _believed_ that it was good for us. Good
for merchants, and otherwise well-fed kids are tough.

 I have fed my 14
> y/o dog mackerel and salmon for most of her life, both of which have a lot
> of oil.

Yes, but not extracts

> It almost sounds like the article was saying that both cod liver oil and
> oil from seeds are dangerous.

It's the rancid oils that are dangerous, and apparently keeping them from
going rancid
is a problem not yet solved.

> Down here in S. New Mexico, many people use lard in cooking; it is sold in
> really large tubs at the grocery store.  There may not be any correlation,
> but people here do not live as long as in most of the rest of the U.S. and
> have lots and lots of heart disease.  Possibly the people are suffering
> from the combination of lard and corn and flour.
> Kath

Yes, I've been in the SW U.S., and used lard myself, but no longer, as I fear
the effect of the preservatives on my precious gut bacteria, which are
supposed to be making vitamins for me, otherwise I would gobble the stuff.
The quest for truly edible fat goes on.

William