From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:51:38 -0400
From: "Peter Constantinidis" <[log in to unmask]>

My addiction is to sugary baked goods.. Donuts, Cookies, Muffins, Cakes,
etc. I try to avoid but sometimes I cant and then go on a binge where I
wolf down a large amount at once. This usually happens once a week.

Peter, for me this happens when I get insufficient carbs. I found I can go
on a ketogenic diet and eliminate carbs, Atkins style (without the Atkins
articificial sugar and so forth) or I can do paleo with a reduced carb
regimen. Deep ketosis suppresses the appetite and when I was on Atkins I
didn't cheat much, but anything in between deep ketosis and reduced carb
causes cravings in me.

So I eat a half of a yam or sweet potato at dinner, or some occasional rice
(not paleo perhaps but it causes me no problems)  or a bunch of carrots,
turnips, or other tubers or roots. In other words, I make sure I have
adequate carbs.

I can now tell when my glycogen levels get too low. I start feeling like
cheating. I can eat loads of cookies or crackers and find it hard to stop.
If I feel my glycogen levels going down, I eat a bunch of paleo carbs. I
notice the cravings do not immediately stop -- there is a delay effect,
like stopping a freight train takes time and the train still continues on
its track for a while. The solution for me is to be very sensitive to this
and conscious and take action immediately so as not to yo-yo between the
perfect little paleo eater and the total junkaholic.

--Richard