From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:32:24 -0700
  Thanks for your excellent post on EFAs and saturated fats Todd. I'd
like to add the following:  In addition to eicosanoid production, we
need omega 3 to  maintain healthy eyes. Docosahexanoic acid, a sub-group
of omega 3, is used to make and maintain critical membranes in brain
cells and a deficiency will result in cognitive decline. Both types of
essential fatty acids are most amenable to synthesis of ketone bodies so
they are very important for mitigating the "foggy brain" that sometimes
accompanies the shift to ketosis. Adequate saturated fat intake to meet
energy needs will help conserve EFAs for their critically important
functions in the brain.

Best Wishes,
Ron

--