From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 06:49:45 -0400
"Don Wiss" wrote:

> Bruce Kleisner:
>  >Stone-pressed EV olive oil, flax oil, and virgin coconut oil
>  >are about the only healthy oils available nowadays.
>
> What about almond oil, walnut oil, avocado oil, and red palm oil?

Most oils are refined, bleached, deodorized, solvent extracted,
processed with chemicals, etc. Unsaturated oils also break down
quickly, due to free radical activity, esp when they are heated
artificially above 96-100F. Sitting on a shelf, oils lose even
more nutritional value. I think that most vegetable oils, even
paleo ones made from nuts/seeds, degrade health. Whether we can
blame this on refining, oxidation, peroxides, photon decay, or
chemical contaminants, who knows. I'm very picky about oils, so
I look for ones with no heat or processing applied.

> And do you really think our ancestors collected and ate flax seeds?

I've eaten whole flax seeds. They taste kind of like banana.
I can chew them fairly well, given enough time. Ground flax
seeds and flax oil taste very different. We should probably
limit most oils (even high-quality ones), due to their high
content of unsaturated fats. Virgin coconut oil (unrefined,
un-bleached, non-hydrogenated, non-deodorized, no solvents,
made from fresh coconuts) has many noted benefits. Even low
quality processed coconut oil is healthier than most of the
alternatives. Countries like Thailand, where the people use
RBD coconut oil, are free of most Western diseases.

http://www.coconut-info.com/links.htm

Bruce Kleisner