From:
Mrs Caroline Centa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:40:19 -0700
(sorry I somehow managed to send the last one before I finished it while trying to copy and paste)

I try to stick to the paleo diet as much as I possibly can.  I am usually pretty strict, not eating any of the following:

• Grains (eg wheat/rice/oats etc)
• Dairy (eg milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc)
• Refined foods (eg salt/sugars etc ) - including honey and sweeteners
• Nightshades (eg peppers/tomato/eggplant)
• Tubers (eg potato/arrowroot etc)
• Legumes (eg soy/beans/peas etc)
• Modernly palatable (eg cashews/olives etc)

I do, however allow myself to eat the odd thing on my no-no list if I am craving it and am unable to satisfy that craving with paleo food.  I will also occasionally use minimal nightshades for flavourings (i.e. spices) - but that's more because it's the most recent to be eliminated from my diet and I haven't learned to live without it yet.

I find the sugars and grains are the worst for setting me off on binges so I try to avoid them as much as possible.  I use fruit juice as my sweetener when I need to make something sweet (like with my cakes/biscuits) and that is suffice and doesn't set me on a binge.

I also don't let myself feel bad for going off track.  Once I go off track I often don't feel too great for it, so make a conscious note of how it affected me (which is a good deterrent in the future) and then go back to eating good.  I probably have a 'naughty' day once a week to once a month, which consists of one or two bad things in the one day (i.e. when I go to mothers group I may have a chocolate biscuit - one of my biggest downfalls) or if I am out for a birthday dinner I'll have a couple of glasses of wine.