From:
Aaron Wieland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 03:33:51 -0400
Ken Stuart wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 00:17:30 -0400, Aaron Wieland <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >Chronic health problems begin with the intestine.
>
> This is one of those food-fadist myths that has no substantiation.
>
> >Its lining needs to be continually regenerated.
>
> According to Dr. Weil (who is otherwise sympathetic to alternative nostrums):
>
> " The colon sheds its entire lining and regenerates it every day, so it's
> impossible for anything to build up on its walls. "

[I apologize for the late response.  I had some computer problems for a
while (which were completely unrelated to the Chernobyl virus, in case
you're wondering), and am still catching up on my e-mail as a result.]

I think we're interpreting the same information from different
viewpoints.  The colon _needs_ to regenerate its lining every day; if it
is unable to do so, there are obvious consequences.  There are tests to
confirm intestinal permeability (though I wouldn't waste money on one,
because the information is redundant and not that helpful).  Intestinal
permeability can clearly be a problem; consider celiac disease, for
example.

Incidentally, is there any support for Dr. Weil's idea that one should
use fasts to "give the digestive system a rest"?  I did a 12-day juice
fast once, and will never do so again, as it was terribly draining; but
it obviously works well for some people (but I doubt that has much to do
with giving the body a rest).  Dr. Weil also advocates a low-protein
diet for everyone, a position that I obviously disagree with.

Cheers,
-- Aaron