Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2012 20:57:16 -0800
*Hello,
*

I was just reading on the Weston A Price Foundation website and saw the
below regarding high fat in kidney failure in diabetes.  I am a Type II
Diabetic, trying to manage my symptoms with diet and oral meds.  I just
thought it was interesting and wanted to share.  I just do not understand
why "health officials" are so terrified to get off the low fat-high carb
killer diet...This is from their "Caustic Commentary" page, Fall 2011
issue.  Here is the link:

http://www.westonaprice.org/caustic-commentary/caustic-commentary-fall-2011

HIGH-FAT REVERSES KIDNEY FAILURE

The tragic epidemic of kidney failure, so common in diabetics, puts a huge
burden on our health care system, by some estimates accounting for half of
all medical costs. What if a simple diet could reverse kidney failure? A
recent study on mice indicates the possibility. Researchers at the Mount
Sinai School of Medicine in New York used mice with both type-one and
type-two diabetes. Once kidney damage had developed, half the mice were put
on a ketogenic diet, low in carbohydrates and very high in fat. After eight
weeks, the researchers noted that kidney damage was reversed in those on
the high-fat diet. Such exciting results should be shouted to the skies but
health officials are administering a large dose of cold water. “This
research was carried out in mice so it is difficult to see how these
results would translate into any real benefits for people with diabetes at
this stage,” said Dr. Iain Frame, director of research at Diabetes UK. “It
is too simple to say that kidney failure could be prevented by diet alone
and it is also questionable whether the diet used in this model would be
sustainable for humans, even in the short term” (PLoS ONE 2011;6(4):
e18604). Of course Diabetes UK and its counterparts in the U.S. have been
pushing a lowfat, highcarb diet for diabetics for decades; this study
suggests that this disastrous advice may hasten kidney failure in these
patients.